Nigerian Fried Rice, A Popular Staple
Nigerian Fried Rice is a popular staple all over the country. This dish is served at home, at parties, or in restaurants. The recipe is unique because ingredients like protein and vegetables can be substituted from time to time for a change. You could decide to prepare Nigerian fried rice with beef, chicken, shrimp, or prawns. You can adjust the spice or hotness level to suit your palate. This dish is easy to make once you have the recipe.
Ingredients for Nigerian Fried Rice
1. Raw chicken (quantity will depend on you, match seasoning with the amount of chicken that suits your taste buds)
2. 3 cups of long-grain parboiled rice
3. 3 to 4 cups of chicken stock or broth
4. 2 cups of diced red or white onions to cook chicken, and some for frying vegetables.
5. 1 teaspoon of Knorr bouillon cubes or powder
6. 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder for rice and chicken respectively
7. 1/4 teaspoon of thyme for the rice
8. 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
9. 1 cup of sweet corn
10. 1 cup of green or spring onions
11. 1 cup of green pepper
12. 2 cups of carrots
13. 1 cup of green peas
14. 1/2 cup of red pepper
15. Shrimps (optional)
16. 1 cup of cooked liver, diced or baked or fried sausage, diced
17. 1/4 teaspoon of garlic and ginger (optional)
18. Salt to taste
How to prepare your chicken
1. Marinate chicken overnight with blended shallots, garlic, ginger, and onion. Add curry and thyme, Knorr seasoning, and salt to taste.
2. Cook chicken on medium-high heat with a water level slightly above chicken for 15 to 25 minutes (hard chicken cooks longer). Cooking time may be longer depending on the chicken part you bought. Add a little water to the sides of the pot, within cooking time to prevent burning.
3. When chicken is tender, strain in a colander, and add a little seasoning to strained chicken, if need be, as the seasoning may be in the stock, deep-fry, grill, or bake chicken.
4. Remember chicken has been boiled so deep-frying or baking time will be less. You want to avoid having chicken that is too dry.
5. If you need more broth take out the cooked chicken, add one cup of water to the broth, and bring it to a boil. The broth can be used to cook the rice.
Note: One can skip the above step, and use Option 2. Store-bought chicken broth can also be used to cook the rice.
1. Clean raw chicken with vinegar, pat dry with a paper towel, season, and marinate 24 hours before baking in the oven. Note that the temperature and bake time will be according to the size of the chicken. You may also deep fry, or air-fry your chicken.
How to prepare your rice
1. You could follow the instructions on the rice pack of your choice although I prefer parboiled long-grain rice for this recipe.
2. Wash parboiled long grain rice six times in running cold water to take off the starch, and strain.
3. Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil or two tablespoons of butter to a pan.
4. Saute, some onions in a pan on medium-high heat for two minutes. I will use a full bulb but use the quantity you want.
5. Add rice with diced garlic, (optional) and saute on medium-high heat for five minutes till rice is slightly golden brown. This gives an extra layer of flavor and helps the grain not to stick when cooking.
6. Add the chicken broth and the water level should be slightly above the rice.
7. Add ¼ teaspoon of curry powder and thyme, with a pinch of salt after tasting, as the chicken broth is already salty.
8. Use foil paper over the rice, and cover the pot with the lid. Allow it to cook on medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Depending on the texture you want, it might take less or longer cooking time. Avoid adding too much water, as you do not want a “mushy mess”.
How to prepare the veggies
1. Add a little vegetable oil or butter to a pan, add diced onions, and saute for two minutes.
2. Add grated garlic and saute for one minute. Do not add garlic before onions, as it will burn.
3. When it is slightly golden brown, add all vegetables, add cooked liver or shrimp, and stir-fry for three minutes.
4. You can season the vegetables with black pepper but be careful because you have seasoned the rice.
5. Add rice to the vegetables, mix, and fry for another two minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and leave the lid open for a few minutes.
7. Ready to serve with salad or coleslaw.