How to Show Empathy
How to Show Empathy is a great topic, which needs to be constantly reviewed by everyone. The world would be a better place if we showed empathy. We are going to be looking at the meaning of empathy and sympathy as they are not the same. Also, we will be looking at the views of some great minds on empathy, three types of empathy, and how to show empathy. Happy Reading friends!
HOW TO SHOW EMPATHY
Empathy and sympathy
Empathy and sympathy are not the same. According to the Oxford Dictionary, ” Empathy is the ability to understand another person’s feelings and experience while sympathy is the feeling of being sorry for somebody.”
Quotes on Empathy
These quotes on empathy are insightful:
“Empathy is seeing with the eyes of another, listening with the ears of another, and feeling with the heart of another,”saysAlfred Alder (An Austrian Medical doctor and psychotherapist)
“Empathy is the medicine the world needs, ” saysJudith Orloff, An American psychiatrist
The difference between empathy and sympathy
The difference between empathy and sympathy is empathy means understanding how someone is feeling while sympathy is acknowledging that someone is distressed. Hence, empathy is a much deeper or better cognitive and emotional reaction to show.
Three types of empathy
According to www.6seconds.org, there are three types of empathy:
- Cognitive empathy: Cognitive empathy is the ability to understand think and feel. This is the thinking part of empathy where you make an educated guess. You often have to put yourself in someone else’s shoes at a cognitive level.
- Emotive empathy: Emotive empathy means feeling with someone the pain they feel, in your heart. We are wired biologically for this and our mirror neurons cause us to experience the same or similar emotions others feel. Mirror neurons represent a particular class of neurons that discharge both when we carry out a motor act or when we see the same or similar action carried out by someone else. An example is when you smile, someone smiles back at you.
- Emphatic Action: Emphatic action is the doing part of empathy. This is a step further, which is beyond understanding others and sharing feelings. At this point, we offer to help the best way we can. This involves asking how you can help or sitting in silence with them, which the person would appreciate.
Tips on how to show empathy
How to show empathy is easier with the information discussed above. The following tips are helpful:
- Listen with a goal to understand, and make people feel heard;
- Ask questions with genuine curiosity;
- Be present;
- Let go of biases;
- Do not offer unsolicited advice;
- Look people in the eye when you empathize; and
- Acknowledge them by sharing a similar experience if they allow you to.
The world is waiting for you to make it a better place by showing empathy at home, work, school, places of worship, and wherever it is needed. I am confident you will show empathy, the right way since you learned a thing or two from this article. Cheers!